I am starting a new series called Staying On Track. With the holiday weekend fast approaching I thought I would give you some tips for staying on track toward your goals, and not blowing it just because it is a holiday weekend.
Staying On Track Series- Part 1 HolidaysOkay so it is Labor Day and you are going to a BBQ at a friends house or you are going away for the weekend, now what?
- Pack your own food to take. Even if you can't make every meal that you eat while out of town, you can have some snacks that will keep you from overeating when it comes to meal time. Packs things like apples, bananas, nuts and seeds, peanut butter, rice cakes, Kind bars, homemade trail mix, protein powder to mix with water. If you are going to a party take a healthy dish to pass and a fruit and veggie tray, this way you are guaranteed to have something to eat.
- Eat before you go. Before you head out to that party make sure to eat a meal so that when you get there you will be less tempted to overeat all the goodies.
- Plan a cheat meal. It is okay to have a cheat meal every week, and you need one to help keep you on track. If you know that there is going to be food that you just can't wait to eat, plan that as your cheat meal. Just make sure to have only one portion.
- Drink in moderation. Let's be honest you are going to have a few "adult beverages", just don't overdo it! Alcohol is converted to sugar in the body and will most likely be stored as fat. If you are going to have a few drinks, space them out and have a large glass of ice water with some fresh lemon wedges in between drinks. You can also make spritzers. Add some soda water to your wine or mixed drink to cut down on the sugar and calories you consume.
- Have fun and socialize. Don't hang out by the food table. Mingle and walk around. Play some volleyball or lawn games. Its easy for the calories to add up when you are nibbling the whole time at the party.
**I just want to give a quick shout out to my friend and graphic designer Laura. She re-did my logo at the top of my page for me. She is awesome and did all my changes, I am super picky! If you need any help with your website or blog check out her out: Laura-Schmeisl.com Did I mention she is awesome?**