Friday, April 22, 2016
If you are like me you love coffee...I mean what better way to start your day than with a sweet cup of goodness! If you are like me you also brew too much some days and have some left in the carafe that you don't want to go to waste. One day I was really craving an iced coffee, so I took my leftover coffee I stored in the fridge and poured it over a glass of ice, added a little of my favorite salted caramel creamer. I was also really sore that day and while I was grabbing my creamer my vanilla Premier Protein caught my eye. And then a light bulb went off...Vanilla Protein Coffee! I added to my cup and viola...it was delish! It got me thinking that the next time I try it I could add it all to a blender and make a healthy and protein packed "frappachino" of sorts. Now that warmer weather is on the way this is the perfect way to refuel and refresh at the same time! Next time you have some leftover coffee and some vanilla Premier Protein try it out, trust me...your taste buds will thank me!
Premier Protein Giveaway I decided to ask my Facebook followers how they fuel their day. Want to join in the fun and enter to win? Click here to head over to Facebook to check it out and enter!
I hope that you are able to get out and enjoy some the the lovely spring weather where ever you are! I have been spending more time outside with my daughter, and we are just so happy not to be cooped up from the cold! Have a wonderful day and thank for stopping by!
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Premier Protein. As a trainer ambassador I received a grant to fund my continuing education. Since I am wanting to get back in to a gym teaching classes and eventually training clients it always helps to add certifications to my arsenal, and makes me more valuable to potential clients and to the gym I want to work for.
Actually next week I will start teaching a group fitness class at a gym in my area. I am really excited to get back into a gym and doing some teaching. My class is called Shred and we will be doing strength and cardio circuits to burn fat and build lean muscle. I have been busy getting my workouts together and I can't wait to share how it goes!
Are you ready for a Booty Burning Workout? I love working my glutes and I notice a difference when I am wearing leggings, which lets be honest, is all the time! Now that shorts season is coming I have been adding an extra leg day and an extra arms & shoulder day too! Ready for a great workout? Try this one and let me know if your buns were burning!! *Disclaimer: Remember I am a personal trainer, but not your personal trainer. Be sure to get the green light from your doctor before starting this or any exercise program. This is a general workout and may not be suitable for everyone.
Now that you got your workout in you are ready for your Protein shake! This recipe is one of my favorites, because I love banana bread. Premier Protein is going to be launching a new flavor of pre-made shakes Bananas & Cream...and I was sent a few to try before they hit the shelves of Sam's club on April 5th! My husband loves this shake the best so far, I think it is delish (but I am a chocolate girl at heart). It is great to have one more flavor to add in the mix and to share with my clients.
Here is the recipe:
Premier Protein Banana Nut Bread Smoothie
1 container Premier Protein Bananas & Cream (or vanilla if you don't have banana)
1 small banana
1 tbsp Almond Butter
1 scoop BCAA & Glutamine (great for post workout recovery)
Dash or 2 of cinnamon
Blend with ice and water until smooth & enjoy!
Now it is time to link up for Wild Workout Wednesday! If you have a workout or healthy living post we would love to have you link up!
Weekly I link up with Nicole at Fitful Focus, Michelle at Fruition Fitness and Annmarie at Fit Foodie Mama. If you love the linkup be sure to share on social media and to follow the WWW linkup board on Pinterest. We will be sure to do the same and pin your pins to the board.
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Turning Negative Self Thoughts to Positive Ones + Premier Protein Giveaway Winner & Share Good Energy Promo
One thing that will keep you from reaching your goals is the way that you talk to yourself and the conversations that you have in your mind. I don't think that we pay enough attention to what we are saying to ourselves because there are so many outside distractions. We log into Facebook and read what is going on, visit Instagram and check out all the pictures. All of this is playing into how we think about ourselves and how we talk to ourselves. Especially if you are following a lot of fitness pages, like I do. I think we start to compare and then decide that we are not as______ as someone else. You must remember that what you see on social media is what people want to you see. But we all know that there is more to life than what we show our friends and followers on social media. So we have conversations with ourselves about how we are not as _____ as "Jane" or "Sally". Which can lead to negative self talk. Comparison is the thief of joy! Maybe it comes with age, but I have let that go. Or Maybe it is because I am a mother now, and I think about myself differently. I do know that it has taken work and time to change how I talk to myself and the conversations I have with myself.
Fear and Self doubt are two things that most of us face or have faced in the past. They are the voices in our head that say "You can't do this", "You're not worth it", "Why even bother?". How do these thoughts get there? I am not sure? Television? Social media? People in our lives? I am not really sure, I am guessing a mix of those things. If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen by now that I am doing the TTP program that Amber Dodzweit has designed an I am part of the Ateam, a group of amazing women! When I started back in January, I filled out the questions in the info that was sent to us and there were two questions that stood out to me. They had to do with feeling like you deserve success and if you are having doubts about being successful. I have to say that when I answered them honestly, I cried. Because at that point I thought that I didn't deserve it and had doubts that I could achieve what I really wanted. It was then that I realized that I had the power to change my mind about these things and that is what I set out to do. "Limits, just like fear are often just an illusion."
Someone shared this video by Mateuz M on Facebook and I watched it and it was so inspiring. It made me feel like I could do anything. So what I started to do was watch it when I was warming up for a workout, then I would watch the next and the next and each title was pulling me in to watch. Unbroken, Unstoppable, Why Do We Fall, Desire. These are all amazing videos. When you have the time go and watch them, the messages are powerful. These messages started to seep into my thoughts and when a negative thought crept it I replaced it with something empowering. I was taking control of my thoughts and my mind. Have you ever read the quote "The body can handle anything, its the mind you have to convince?" If there is one thing that I have leaned in my past 7 weeks of working hard at changing my mindset it is this. We have to train our minds just like we train our bodies. We have to replace the bad with the good.
Eric Thomas. He is a motivational speaker and he speaks with such passion that it is hard not to want to run out and get your workout in or start writing your business plan! He came from nothing, was born in Detroit to a teenage mother and didn't have a father, he was homeless. But he was able to get himself to where he is now with mindset and hard work. Look him up on YouTube and watch his videos.
So where am I going with all of this? The thing that I want to share the most is that if you want to change you have to start with your mind. You have to decide that you want to change. You have to find your WHY, the reason you are going to work hard to reach your goals, whatever they may be. You have to work every day to change the negative self talk that creeps into your mind. It is a practice that you must master. I still have doubts or fears that creep in, but I quickly replace those thoughts with a positive one, I don't give power to those thoughts. I remember my bigger why, the reason that I am working on the things that I am working on. The things that give my life meaning and why I live with passion. We only get one chance to live the life we want. It is possible for you to live the life that you are meant to live. Find what gives your life passion and pursue that! Don't ever forget that your thoughts are powerful. Make them positive!
I want to say thank you to everyone who entered my Premier Protein Prize Pack Giveaway! The winner is: Olivia A. Congrats! I will send you an e-mail to get your info.
If you didn't win don't worry Premier Protein is giving away samples for you and your friends! Click HERE to Share Good Energy, and choose your free protein bar or shake sample and choose 5 friends to pick their samples too! Limit 2 samples per person per household, available while supplies last. Chosen friends will be notified via Facebook Messenger to choose their sample.
Don't miss out on your chance for a free sample and Share Good Energy with your friends!
Be sure to link up for Wild Workout Wednesday! Each week I link up with Annmarie from The Fit Foodie Mama, Nicole from Fitfulfocus and Michelle from Fruition Fitness. We love to have you join us!
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
You've just killed your workout and you're about to hop in the shower and get ready for your day. But wait!! You didn't have your post-workout shake or smoothie! Did you know that within 45 minutes after your strength training workout that it is important to have the right combo of protein and carbohydrates? Did you know there are other things that can go into your recovery post workout as well?
Over my 6 years as a personal trainer, and as I am going through my studying for Precision Nutrition I have learned so much about how your nutrition affects your body, and how important it is to get the right nutrition post workout.
Here are some of my top tips for your post workout recovery:
- Fuel up within 45-60 minutes after your workout. This is important if you just did your strength training and are looking to lose fat and gain muscle. I recommend a protein shake with at least 25g of protein and about 10-15g of carbohydrates. The carbs will help transport the protein to your muscle to help start the repair process. Did you know that this is when your muscles grow? So this post workout timing is important. The easiest way to do this is with a protein shake and a banana. This is my go to. If you are on the go and have to toss something in your gym bag, check out these pre-made Premier Protein shakes. They are perfect with a half a banana. If you are able to make a shake at home mix 1 1/2 cups of water, a scoop of protein (or one pre-made premier protein shake), 1/2 a banana, and a dash of cinnamon, blend and enjoy.
- Eat your protein! Protein is the building block of muscle, and the more muscle you build the more fat your body will burn at rest. It is important to hit this macro-nutrient daily. Depending on your goals your daily protein intake should be between 30-40% of your daily calorie intake.
- Don't skimp on stretching! Be sure you are stretching before and after your workout. This will help to warm up and cool down your body. It will also help to stretch the muscles you just worked hard.
- Foam rolling is your best friend. Foam rolling your tight muscles may hurt, but it is so important to get in at least a few times a week. It helps to release some of the tightness you are feeling and will aid in recovery. It will also help to lengthen your muscles as well. It is not a costly investment and you can do it while you watch television at night before bed!
- Boost your recovery with BCAA's. BCAA stands for Branch Chain Amino Acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. BCAA's help to increase protein synthesis (protein breakdown for muscle building), and even help to increase your cell's capacity for protein synthesis. So what this means is adding an extra scoop of BCAA's to your post-workout protein shake will help to start repairing your muscles quicker. I use unflavored and add it to my daily shake and I don't taste them. You can also buy a flavored one and drink it during a workout. I don't like anything but pure water when I workout which is why I stick to the former.
- Have a spa night with an Epsom salts bath! This is one of my favorite ways to relax and to help relieve sore muscles. I try to get one in weekly, sometimes it doesn't happen, but when it does I sleep like a baby that night. Add a cup of Epsom salts to hot water and let them dissolve. You can even add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. I set a timer for 20 minutes and put some spa music on my Pandora and relax away my sore muscles. Since your skin in your largest organ, it absorbs the magnesium, which is necessary for muscle building and repair. Plus it is a good way to spend some quiet time at night. Try it, you will come back and thank me.
Are you ready for a Premier Protein Giveaway? Follow the steps below for your chance to win a variety of Premier Protein Shakes and Bars. I love having a few bars and shakes with me when I am on the go or for after a workout! Winner will be announced next week! Good luck!
Premier Protein February Giveaway
I hope that you are having a wonderful day! Go kill that workout and be sure to refuel properly :-)