Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Supplements...What Do You Need?
When you are working out and eating clean you should make sure that you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need to support all the work you are doing in the gym. It used to be enough to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, however our soils are becoming depleted of precious vitamins and minerals and the best way to make sure we are getting what we need is to supplement. Here are the supplements I feel are worth the money and will make an impact on how you feel and recover from workouts.
1) Multi-Vitamin- This will help to cover what you are not getting in your daily diet. I prefer gender specific multi-vitamins. Check the label to make sure there are no artificial colors or flavors and don't contain any GMO ingredients.
2) Vitamin D3- Studies have shown that most people are not getting enough of this vital vitamin. The many benefits of Vitamin D include maintaining a healthy weight, strengthening your immune system, brain health, and heart health. I take 5,000 IU daily. Again, make sure there are not any unnecessary ingredients.
3) Omega 3 Fish Oils- Omega 3's contain EPA's and DHA's that we can only obtain from our diet because our bodies can not make them. Most of us are not getting enough of this important fatty acid. Omega 3's have been shown to reduce inflammation, and is important for brain healthy and development. Make sure that the brand that you choose states specifically on the bottle that they have been tested for mercury and do not contain any mercury. This supplement is also important for pregnant women because Omega 3's help with the proper development of the baby's brain and nervous system, talk to your health care provider about which is best for you. Also, if you are vegan Flax Seeds contain Omega 3's.
4) Biotin- This supplement is optional and may only need to be taken for a short while. You can get biotin from plenty of food sources. However, I started taking this after I stopped breast feeding my daughter at 16 months. I noticed that there were some places where my hair was thinning and my nails were very weak and brittle. I think that after all the changes from pregnancy and breastfeeding my body needed more of this supplement to support hair growth and nail strength. I have noticed a huge difference since I have been taking this for about 3 months.
5) Vitamin B Complex- There are many great reasons to take a Vitamin B complex supplement among them are to lessen symptoms of anxiety, depression, fatigue, premenstrual syndrome and skin issues. It also helps to prevent heart disease.
6) Sun Warrior Plant Based Protein Blend- I use 2 scoops of this protein after every weight training session. It contains 30 grams of protein to help with the recovery of the muscle from your workout. It is important to get protein within 45 minutes of your strength training workout to start the recovery process and protein powder is easily digested so it can get to the muscles quickly. Add a banana and the glucose will help with the transport and absorption of protein.
7) BCAA's- Branch Chain Amino Acids contain 3 of the 9 essential amino acids your body can't make. The 3 leucine, isoleucine and valine support everything from anabolic muscle building to high intensity endurance training to improving mental function and mood. For more info check out this article to read more benefits of supplementing with BCAA's.
*Disclaimer- I am not a medical professional and this is not to be taken as medical advice. This in information I have learned through my education. Please make sure to contact your medial care provider before starting any new supplement especially if you are taking medication, as some supplements can be contraindicated.**
Supplements...What Do You Need?
bcaa|multi-vitamins|sun warrior protein|supplement guide|supplements|